Thursday, April 3, 2014

Look at My Brain

At school I learn basic skills like reading and writing, but that's not really where I do the majority of my learning. Most of my learning has come from first hand experience, practice, failure, and better yet success. As you may already know I am writing a novel as my master piece for Dr. Preston's course, but that's still only one side of who I am. A large portion of my education came from my experiences as a Boy Scout of America.I can set and reach my goals, for instance in 2012 I biked over 50 miles in just 8 hours( talk about tiring tasks!) and three days before the start of my senior year I hiked 20 miles. It took me years to earn it, but I was able to earn my Eagle Scout Rank earlier this year.

In my writing I have already gone through four drafts of my novel. The first was horrid. There was little to no dialog between the characters and the dialog that did exist felt forced or mechanical. Nothing seemed to fit right, like forcing s few pieces of a jigsaw puzzle to fit and realizing that it looks nothing like the image that is supposed to exist in the completed puzzle. The second was similar to the first, but slightly smoother. I still didn't really 'know' my characters, but it was a good skeleton for the third and fourth drafts. I kept trying with my third draft and I am still trying with my fourth (which is much better than any previous version FYI). Constant revision and improvement is making my story more interesting and enjoyable, and though it is a large thorn in my side at times I'm slowly becoming pleased with my results.

No comments:

Post a Comment