Thursday, October 3, 2013

Literary analysis #2

The Way Things Ought To Be by Rush Limbaugh
Topics and events
1 The book begins with a small history lesson on how Rush reached his current position in radio broadcasting. He talks about the people who helped him air on the more popular stations and eventually helped him to be aired nationally. He also speaks on a multitude of subjects which are all political in nature, but that's all just on the surface. What he really is intent on promoting is independent thought. Yes of course he shows his side of the political subjects but throughout  the chapters he restates the phrase think for yourself. 
2 He decided to write he book to tell a little about himself and his political view points.
3 This book actually fell into my hands several years ago, however until recently I have had no motivation to read a nonfiction book. I 'rediscovered' the book as I was rummaging through my small selection of nonfiction books in my family library. I remembered that my father had read it while I was younger and had enjoyed the book. So naturally being his son I decided that I wanted to see what he had found to be so intriguing about the book.
4 I believe that this book is realistic. There are a few connections that I made from the book to my life, just as he struggled to become a national broadcaster (which is difficult) I myself am pursuing something few people ever achieve (and quite frankly I really hope I make it) such as my eagle rank in BSA.

People
1 In the book Rush describes multiple people, some of whom took part in helping him reach this point in his career, and of course several politicians whom stand on either side of the issue.
2 A.The first person in the book to really strike me with interest was Bruce Marr, this is the man who helped Rush reach such a prominent place in talk radio. Bruce was given his share of honest praise for acting as a catalyst in Rush's thought process. IN a fictional novel I would use Bruce as a nurturing and supporting character because of the effort he put into helping Rush get into ABC radio.
B. The second person in the book to strike me as interesting would have to be Bob Grant. Bob Grant was described to be the broadcasting veteran of twenty years. Though he is not mentioned through the book I find him interesting because he was the #1 listened to radio host at the time in New York city because of his use of combat radio, a form of radio in which there is an active disagreement between the host and the caller.
3 Both of the people described above were people whom I found interesting because of the way Rush described them. Bruce was an excellent help to Rush, and Bob was the #1 broadcaster in New York.

Style
2 Rush tended to focus more upon the actions of political groups than anything.
3 Rush uses some sarcasm combined with hints of tongue in cheek to create a more optimistic mood in spite of the large topics that are discussed creating an entertaining experience.
4 I personally enjoyed his comedy that he used to brighten the mood of the book, it was enjoyable to read some of the comical sarcasm that he used to express his thoughts upon politics. It created a book that didn't seem to foretell the "end of humanity itself" but instead insisted there was hope as long as the American people thought for themselves.
5 His sources were that of the news, stories that had been publicized by CNN and CBS, etc.

Enduring memory
The one thing I expect to remember indefinitely is his use of sarcasm and comical elements to brighten the overall mood of the book. Life is difficult and sometimes the world can seem bleak, but sometimes you just need to stay optimistic and enjoy the humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment